VPM'S CENTRE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDIES (Regd.)
Knowledge is Power
Call Us : 91-22-2563 6108
Seminars / Workshops
CIS made a beginning in organising seminars by holding a half-day seminar on “India-Pakistan Relations in the Post Agra Period” on December 1, 2001. Then there was no looking back. Following events were organised:
- A two-day National Seminar on “India-Pakistan Relations in Pursuit of Peace” on 2nd and 3rd April 2004 in its Conference Room.
A one-day National seminar on “India-US Relations After November Elections: Continuity or New Directions?” in the backdrop of November Presidential Elections and its outcome was held on 15th December 2004.
- A two-day International Seminar on “Perspectives on Reforming and Restructuring the United Nations” was held on 6 – 7 May 2005 at its Conference Room in Mulund (E), Mumbai.
- A three-day National seminar was organized on March 27- 29, 2006 on “India-China Relations: An Agenda for Asian Century”.
- A half day seminar on “USA and India-Pakistan Equation Since 26/11”was organized on 25th September 2009.
- A two-day National Seminar on “Terrorism of 26/11: Implications for Indian Foreign Policy” was organized on 26-27 March, 2010 in the VPM’s CIS Conference Room.
- A three-day International Seminar on “Nuclear Disarmament: Global Steps towards Human Security” was organised on 20-22 December 2010 in the VPM’s CIS Conference Room.
- A Two-day National Seminar on ‘India as an Emerging Major Power: Foreign Policy Thrust Areas’ was organized on 27-28 January 2012. The seminar was partially sponsored by ICWA, New Delhi, Canara Bank, Mumbai Circle, and Shri R Z Shah Trust, Mulund and USIEF, Mumbai.
- Two-day International Seminar was jointly organised by VPM’s CIS, Mumbai & Indian Council of World Affairs, New Delhi on “South China Sea: A Flashpoint of Global Conflict” was organized on 1-2 March 2013. The Seminar was co-sponsored by Canara Bank, Mumbai Circle.
- A two-day National Seminar on “National Security: Changing Contours of Concept and its Concerns” was held on 15-16 July 2013 sponsored by Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi.
- Three-day National Seminar on “American Withdrawal from Afghanistan in December 2014: Post – Withdrawal Puzzle of Policy Options for India, Pakistan and Afghanistan” .
- A three-day National Seminar was organised on “Act East Policy of NDA II and Primary Goals: Economic Development, Democracy and National Security” on 27-29th April 2017.
- A two-day National Seminar was organised on India’s ‘Neighborhood First’ Policy: Emerging New Trends” on 24-25 June 2019.
A 15 day Research Methodology Workshop in Social Sciences with Special Reference to International Relations from 15-29th November 2010 which was inaugurated on the 15th of November 2010 by Prof. Manas Chatterji, Professor, School of Management, State University of New York at Binghamton and Guest Professor, Peking University. In all we had registered 22 candidates for the workshop. On the concluding day, Dr Abhay Pethe, Director, Dept of Economics & Hon. Director, ICSSR, WRC was the Chief Guest and awarded certificates to the Participants.
A workshop on “Using Interpreting Data for Improving Students Learning” was held on Saturday 11 May 2013 in its Conference Hall. The workshop was co-ordinated by Dr Ratna Dhamija, Country Manager at the Australian Council for Educational Research, India.
A half day symposium on “Are Human Rights Absolute?” on Friday, the 25 November 2011. Justice H. Suresh, retired Judge Bombay High Court, author and expert on the subject & Dr. (Ms) Rashmi Oza, Head Dept of Law, University of Mumbai lead the discussion. The topic was of considerable interest in the background of ongoing debate on Right to Life (abolition of death penalty).
Interaction with Prof Sumit Ganguly from Indiana University visited VPM’s CIS on 15 December 2015. Prof Ganguly holds the Rabindranath Tagore Chair in Indian Cultures and Civilizations and directs the Center on American and Global Security. Professor Ganguly is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations (New York) and the International Institute of Strategic Studies (London). The discussion was chaired by Prof. P.M. Kamath and attended by a few academicians associated with VPM’s CIS.
The CIS Conference Room is available for other academic institutions for holding their meetings, conferences and seminars.
The Foundation for International Relations Studies and Thought (Regd) held a one- day seminar on Hindu Contribution to the promotion of ‘Peaceful Co-existence’ of States as a Political Concept on 18th November 2006.
Fulbright Alumni Association (FAA), Mumbai Chapter held a one-day seminar on “India-US in a Globalised World: Many Layers but one Goal of Strengthening Relations” on 29th February 2008.